Thursday, October 20, 2011

Floral Wedding Bliss: Reception


The Place Card Table had
a centerpiece with Calla Lilies & hanging
votives on gold dusted branches. 
Mom and me getting things ready
Saturday before the big event... & Gigi
White roses in antique cracked mirror glass vases on the
mantle of the ballroom fireplace. There were many
candle votives placed around them & the wonderful
wedding cake in front from Crown Bakery. White Cake with
Raspberry and Blood Orange Filling and Buttercream Frosting. 
I think one of the funniest memories I have of Saturday prior to all the festivities beginning, was me running around the estate barefoot ensuring everything was falling into place, and meanwhile my glam squad captain, a.k.a celebrity hair stylist extraordinaire, "Christian" from Salon 647         
running behind me trying         to get me upstairs to the bridal suite for nearly two hours. For some that sounds like a nightmare to do any arrangements before one's own wedding and worrying about the details, but for someone like me, dare I say a slight control freak, I enjoyed doing my part and seeing things through to completion -- it actually had a very calming effect. 

So when the florist arrived with all the flowers and I saw them for the first time not only was my morning complete, but I could finally go upstairs. It was such a gratifying moment when I could relish in the beauty of the centerpieces, bouquets, vases -- all the flowers that I envisioned for my wedding right there before my eyes in gorgeous arrangements.  


The most talented designer who has to take all the credit and who I cannot speak more highly of is Maureen Szczurko, owner of The Flower Stop in Worcester. Maureen not only listened to every detail I told her from months in advance, she not only could see exactly what I was envisioning, but she took it to levels I couldn't even imagine. It's really special to meet anyone who is so gifted and passionate about their craft, and it shows through their work. 





These 3 Ft. Cylinder Vases had a variety of either
Calla Lilies or Orchards sunken in the water with
candles floating on top. They were spread throughout
the foyer and especially in the grand fireplace shown left.



Centerpieces: White Eggshell Roses,  Calla Lilies Picasso,
Dark Eggplant Calla Lilies, Snow on the Mountain as filler &
Dusty Miller Silver Lace around the bottom.
I wanted a French, Chic theme. Not over the top like Marie Antoinette, but not too Provincial either. Something elegant and en vogue, timeless like Coco Chanel. I wanted all white but bursts of deep eggplant from the Callas and Picasso Lillies, then highlights of sage that would tie it all together. Maureen fully accomplished that, a literal translation that she created. Not only with the flowers, but the vases she used for the centerpieces to the decorative scape on the fireplace mantle.  


The table design with gold chargers, matching crystal candelabras
and frames, satin eggplant napkins and centerpieces.
The linens were satin champagne tablecloths with
crystalized organza overlays. 
Rather than have each table be a number we used artistic creations that inspired love. For instance, my husband got to choose our head table so his choice was John Coltrane's album, A Love Supreme. Above you'll notice the table has a frame of Romeo and Juliet which is where my pappou (grandfather) sat. He would always tell us in his younger years they called him "Romeo." Other tables included: Phantom of the Opera, A Farewell To Arms, Casablanca, & Moonlight Sonata. Whether it was film, song, opera, play, book, poetry or paintings -- we chose our favorite works of love.
The head table had the tall crystal candelabras as well as short votive candles spread across the table. Since the bouquets went with the overall floral theme in the dining room I wanted to highlight them and use them as centerpieces. All we did was purchase extra vases for each bouquet to be evenly distributed across the table. The white roses with the deep eggplant and Picasso Calla Lilies stayed on theme.



We really wanted to emphasize the arts throughout our wedding. One stunning touch was having ballet dancers perform "Over the Rainbow" during dinner. They were local dancers from the Albany Berkshire Ballet non-profit. For a donation, the lovely ballet dancers performed so wonderfully and really added such a nice touch. To be honest I was inspired by the Kanye West "Runaway Music Video" -- great video!
We also had gospel singers for the ceremony from a local Church, in addition to a special gift from family members playing the trumpet and violin. Poetry and song was dedicated during the ceremony. We had a big brass band playing jazz and standards during the reception, and after-hours with a live Greek band.  The party kept going and the ambience was just right :)


Some of these photos were from family and friends -- Thank You! Most are from the professional photographer we used, Rich Frederick -- a wonderful job capturing these moments -- thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I really like the whole setting, really classy. I have had the pleasure of being a decorator at one of my friend’s wedding venues. He rents spaces for weddings and I get to decorate the spaces for most of them. Sometimes couples have their own decorators.

    ReplyDelete